Friday, February 25, 2011

A return to “love” (part 1)…

Oh, such a dreaded four letter word. A word, that if we were to do some word association, would immediately get the response of the word hate from me.

I recently told a friend of mine that I no longer believed in “love” and had no use of the word. We “love” everything. Here is a list of things that I “love”, in no particular order…pizza, my bed, my cell phone, having dependable transportation, my apartment.

The list could go on but the point I am trying to make is that none of those items can return the feeling of “love” that I have for them. In fact there are very few things that can do so.

I try to start each morning by reading Oswald Chambers. Just the over day he said something that threw me, the force of this throw was combined with the moving of the Spirit in other areas of my day but Chambers words none the less stirred me.

“If human love does not carry a man beyond himself, it is not love”

There it is…that was my problem the whole time…

I tried for too long to manufacture a “love” that was one sided. In doing so and failing I told my self that there was no more “love”.

Chambers continues, “If love is always discreet, always wise, always sensible and calculating, never carried beyond itself, it is not love at all.”

“It may be affection, it may be warmth of feeling, but it has not the true nature of love in it.”

Sometimes what we think we feel and what we feel are two different things. The challenge, at least for me is to not to confuse the two ever again.

 

Remain spiritually tenacious

- Higgins

No comments: