Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Return to Suffering…

OK, so I must admit that this is probably not the best way to title a blog post. But, I’m going to attempt to redeem myself.

Life is not without its struggles. Which, is very apparent by just turning on the television and watching any one of the 24 hour news channels.

Everyday we are bombarded with terror, tragedy, heart break, and pain. Now, there are those who assume that somehow being a Christian automatically makes you immune to such issues. Well, let me be the first to tell you that it doesn’t. Honestly, to think such things is pretty naive of anyone.

So what is the point of all this Christianity anyway? I mean, if I’m not going to avoid suffering then why should I trust someone I can’t see with my pain?

I’m glad you asked. The long and short of it is this. Christ (God) came to Earth so He could walk in our shoes. Why? So that when we are afflicted with any type of suffering  we can always go to someone (God) who has already been through it. Christ did not merely come to Earth to teach us about peace and love (which He also did) but to take on the ultimate form of suffering (atonement) for us.

Christ never promised a life without suffering. Spurgeon wrote, “Let the thought of Jesus strengthen you as you follow in his steps. Find a sweet support in his sympathy; and remember that, to suffer is an honorable thing-to suffer for Christ is glory.”

Yeah, it sounds weird, but know that you have someone who has already been through it all. Suffering beyond all suffering, suffering even to the cross for your sake.

 

Remain spiritually tenacious

-Higgins

No comments: