Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Who Is A Martyr?

Why are we as Americans so quick to call ourselves martyrs. Or claim that we are receiving some kind of religious persecution? Do people not realize what this means??

We throw these terms around and throw Bible verses around so we can prove our points. Honestly, that’s not what the Bible is for and if that’s how you are using it…PLEASE STOP READING THE BIBLE!

It all started last week when everyone cried martyr, when Tim Tebow’s celebration got mocked. His celebration is him taking a knee and praying. I assume he is praying I don’t know. I’m not in his head. But, I do know that many NFL players have celebrations and they get mocked.

My issue is with all these Christians crying about how brave Tim Tebow is now and how is is suffering for God. Really! Suffering for God?? You have got to be kidding me! He is a multi millionaire, who is paid to play a game, a game I played when I was 15! He may be a Christian…but he is not, let me repeat, IS NOT suffering for Christ. The only thing that is suffering is his QB rating. And for that…maybe he should be praying more.

The other issue I have is when Christians take Bible verses out of context ( surprising I know right!) so they can somehow claim that we are supposed to be pacifists. This is a huge issue I have anabaptists, memmonites, etc. They always pull the the “turn the other cheek” verse. Please…read the Bible in context!! I beg you! (I’m not talking about fighting in wars. That’s a different topic.) 

Quick hermeneutics lesson from Romans (Lester Hicks would be proud!). Paul is talking about when Christians face hardships from people who hate them…because they are Christians. If someone breaks into your house and tries to kill your family…you aren’t going to turn the other cheek…I hope! You are going to use your God given smarts to defend yourself. Also, the person breaking into your house more than likely isn’t doing so because you are a Christian. This isn’t China.

We live in America. I’m pretty sure that most of us have NEVER faced religious persecution on the level of  anything described in the Bible.

Real Martyrs lay down their life for the service of Christ.

No comments: